St James's Cardington - Bellringers

Click for casting of new bells

Click for ringing diary

Click for Guild District calendar 2016

Click for visiting ringers

No 3 - UP

The bells are rung for the main Sunday church services (except 8am communion!) and for various other special events (eg weddings).

We practice on Tuesday nights from 7.30pm to 9pm. New recruits are always welcome.

Other bands visit from time to time.

The Tower Captain is David Elliott who can be contacted on 01694 771282, or e-mail d.elliott@cardington.org.uk.

See the Ringing Diary for up-to-date information.

More information

St James's bells Introduction to bellringing

Some fundamentals

Call Changing Plain Hunting

Other bellringing links

Ringing Resources Sherbourne Teaching

St James's bells

Right to left - tenor, treble, No 2, No 3 - behind the lip of the tenor is No 4's clapper, part of the wheel of No 5 is below it

The tower now houses eight bells after the augmentation of two new trebles cast by Taylors of Loughborough in 2005, thanks to a generous legacy from Kath Cooke, long term resident of Cardington and a ringer in the 1920s.

In 1990 the original ring of four was increased to six by the addition of two new trebles also cast by Taylors, the money for this having been raised by the people of Cardington Parish.

In 1981 the old ring of four were completely restored by Taylors, and installed in the clock room in an iron frame with new fittings. This new frame was installed beneath the old timber frame, which was retained in situ because of it's mediaeval origin.

Entries from old records show that in 1553 there were three bells, in 1740 four, and in 1752 five. It then appears that in 1887 the old treble, and third (originally cast in 1740 and 1630 respectively), were recast to make a ring of four. There is no mention of a fifth bell and it appears that it had been removed sometime in the late 18th or early 19th century.

Originally the bells hung in line in the old timber "A" frame, and were rung from the vestry floor. In 1985 a new ringing gallery incorporating the organ platform was installed in the vestry space. The new pipe organ was installed in November the same year.

The inscriptions on the bells are as follows:

THE TREBLE
cast by Taylors 2005
4cwt 0qrt 14lbs


           ONE OF TWO BELLS
         TO THE GLORY OF GOD
  AND IN MEMORY OF KATH & VIC COOKE

No 2
cast by Taylors 2005
4cwt lqrt 0lbs


           ONE OF TWO BELLS
         TO THE GLORY OF GOD
  AND IN MEMORY OF KATH & VIC COOKE
   'LOVE GOD AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER'
REVD. JILL GROVES 'OUR FIRST LADY VICAR'

No 3
cast by Taylors 1990
4cwt lqrt 18lbs


  VICAR M. BROMFIELD

  R. MAYDEW         )
  R. PENNINGTON     ) Church Wardens
  G. NORRIS (ret.)  )

No 4
cast by Taylors 1990
4cwt 2qrt 18lbs


      I RING IN MEMORY OF:

      C & SR McMILLAN
      THE PENNINGTON FAMILY
      M. PICKERING
      JAMES J. SEYMOUR

No 5
cast by Barwell, Birmingham 1887
4cwt 1qrt 19lbs


T. L. T. FITZJOHN  VICAR
J. HOTCHKISS	)
S. FARR		) Church Wardens

No 6
cast by William Thomas Clibury,
Wellington 1626
4cwt 3qrt 24lbs


 MICHAELL STEVENS    )
 THOMAS CORFIELD     ) Church Wardens

No 7
cast by Barwell, Birmingham 1887
6cwt 0qrt 23lbs

GLORY TO GOD AND PROSPERITY TO THE PARISH OF CARDINGTON

THE TENOR
cast by Abel Rudhall 1752
7cwt 0qrt 5lbs. In the key of G

FEAR GOD HONOUR THE KING

[Top]