MINUTES FOR PARISH COUNCIL MEETING OF CARDINGTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON
Tuesday 5th July 2016 at 8pm
1. Public Session. Limited to 15 minutes. No members of the public were present.
2. Acceptance of Apologies: Apologies were accepted from Councillors Pinches, Tonks and Burgess. Present Councillors Blenkins, Maydew, Davies, Norris, Seabury and Pennington.
3. Dispensations: None.
4. Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 3rd May 2016. It was RESOLVED to sign and approve the minutes of the meeting held on Tuesdya 3rd May 2016.
5. Matters Arising: a. verge by village hall. See response from Highways.
Shropshire Highways reported the following: The road from the village hall to the village runs, as you know, in a retained cut. From memory there are no gully grids to take surface water until you get down towards the village. The roads are shaped to shed water towards the edges, from where it then runs down the side of the road to the grids and into the highway drainage system. It is important that we get water off the highway to reduce maintenance and improve safety, particularly in time of frost and ice. From the village hall to the first grid is about 70 to 80m. Whilst we could look at extending the highway drains and increasing the number of gullies that would be at a cost, would cause disruption (it would probably require a road closure) and unless there is significant risk to road users would not be high up our priorities for attention. This was noted.
b. Footbridge on Willstone road. Clerk contacted highways who feel the footbridge is adequate for the useage. However, they are monitoring on their regular visits to the area.
6. Shropshire Council Local Joint Committee: a. There was a good turnout at the meeting held at Acton Scott village hall. Clive Wright Chief executive of Shropshire Council updated the meeting on the current state of Shropshire Council finances. He gave examples of the costs of services and why they need to be cut. For example if 5 people use a bus service it costs £200.00 per person to run that service. The Big conversation project has proved a success. They received over 2000 responses. One of the biggest issues to address is the ageing population of Shropshire and less young people living and working in Shropshire. Councillor Pennington attended the most recent meeting of Shropshire Hills AONB partnership meeting. The partnership is determining on how it can be managed in the future without local authority support.
7. Updates from Councillors: as per areas of interest. The hedge around The Barracks is very overgrown. There is an overgrown hedge on the road between Botvyle and Shootrough. The drains towards Chatwall have not been cleared. There is a pothole on Enchmarsh bank and a pothole on the lane up to the vicarage. Clerk to report. The churchyard will be cleared for the fete on Saturday. The website is being built clerk needs narrative about the parish. Clerk to ask David Elliott if the narrative on the community website can be used.
8. Planning: a. to be considered at meeting. None.
Considered between meetings using delegated powers: None.
· 16/00733/FUL Erection of an agricultural workers dwelling, double garage and log store. Improvements to existing access installation of a septic tank and auxiliary works. Withdrawn.
· 16/00736/FUL Erection of a general purpose agricultural building and improvements to existing access. Land to the north of Longville in the Dale. Withdrawn.
· 16/01342/FUL Erection of two storey rear extension single storey front extension and alterations to existing external wall surfaces and fenestration. Garden Cottage Plaish. Grant Full Planning Permission.
· 16/01546/VAR Variation of Condition no4 attached to planning permission ref 03/0018/F to allow the extension permitted to be utilised as a unit of holiday – let accommodation. The Willows Church Preen Church Stretton. Refuse.
· 16/01655/TCA To fell 1 Lawson Cypress, 1 Mature Lawson Cypress and 1 Mature Norway Spruce Cemetery Cardington. Raise no objection to felling of one Lawson cypress and 1 mature Norway Spruce.
c. Any other planning matters including any new planning applications received just before the meeting. Clerk has received a complaint about the development on the field owned by the Greek orthodox church. Clerk’s investigation has found a registration of building regulations before the expiry of the permission.
d. Action plan after consultation regarding CIL funds. See attached action plan and ideas of some decisions on ways forward. Some ideas for directional signs to Millennium field plus the noticeboard at Plaish is not in good condition. CIL funds can be used to fund noticeboards. Clerk to obtain quotes for a sign post to replace the rights of way post and two noticeboards. Clerk to put a copy of the action plan on the website.
9. Finance: a. Consider pay increase for clerk from £8.613 to £8.717 per hour an annual increase of £22.63. As per recommendation from NALC/SLCC. It was RESOLVED to pay the increase.
b. Invoices to pay: It was RESOLVED to pay the following invoices:
1. Came & Company £164.25 chq no 203
2. HMRC £89.40 Chq no 204.
3. Mrs J Madeley £358.47 chq no 205
4. Vision ICT £600.00 Chq no 206
c. Consider a grant to West Mercia Search and Rescue. Noted. It was suggested the Lent lunch is carried out for the group.
d. Pension provision. Clerk reported as an employee the Parish Council has to consider pension provision under new regulations. However the salary of the clerk is not sufficient to trigger the requirement of a pension.
10. Shropshire council report. No report Shropshire Councillor Barker is on holiday.
11. Administration and Organisational Issues: a. Cemetery: it was RESOLVED to send the clerk on a Topple testing course to ensure the cemetery is safe. The Japanese Knotweed has been treated with Glypsophate.
b. Cemetery wall. Advice regarding works on wall. Clerk has now established that the parish council can fund the churchyard wall repairs subject to the PCC wishing the works to be carried out. Councillor Maydew agreed to inform the churchwardens.
c. damaged tree in Cemetery. The trees will be removed as per the trees in conservation area consent on the 18th and 19th July.
d. tree survey. A formal tree survey is needed.
e. Highway Maintenance scheme way forward. Councillor Norris will arrange for one or two people who are interested in the work to contact the clerk.
12. Future funding of services that Shropshire Council can no longer provide. Report of meetings attended. Clerk attended a couple of meetings on June 14th. Church Stretton Town council may be approaching the parish council for funding towards the services it is being asked to take over. Clerk is unable to attend the next meeting on 7th July.
13. Correspondence: a. Information about A49 Road Closures. Noted.
b. Letter from two Emergency Medicine Consultants regarding future of emergency services. Noted.
c. Confirmation that the Diocese of Hereford is continuing with the transfer of land to Old School House 19 Cardington. A draft scheme has been out for consultation. Noted.
d. Connection Shropshire newsletter including information about mobile signal. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage. (this link will show you the type of coverage you should have). Noted.
14. Any other essential business- Note no decisions can be made under this item.
15. Date of next meeting Thursday 6th September 2016. The meeting was declared closed at 10.10pm.